About Private Sector Development And Trade Working Group
DPG-PSD/Trade is a forum for development partners involved with private sector development and trade in Tanzania. It was established to promote coherence and consistency in development assistance to the Government of Tanzania in efforts to achieve a better business environment and investment climate.
Why private sector development and trade?
Private sector development is crucial in generating sustainable growth and achieving poverty reduction in Tanzania through job creation especially for youth and women. Also, private sector is a unique thematic area that cuts across all sectors of Tanzania’s economy hence the need to coordinate donor efforts. Areas of current support include access to finance, business development services, business enabling environment, business competitiveness, Public-Private Partnerships, trade policy and capacity building, etc.
How does PSDT perform its functions?
- Support to Government of Tanzania: It strengthens the effectiveness of development assistance in line with Government priorities for Investment climate and trade policy reforms.
- Policy Dialogue: It links to the main dialogue mechanisms including Tanzania National Business Council (TNBC) and Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on key areas of mutual interest in private sector development and trade.
- Information sharing: It promotes coordination and coherence in development assistance through internal information sharing of investments and projects
- Partnership and collaboration: It unifies the voice of development partners supporting private sector development when engaging with other stakeholders like Government of Tanzania, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Private Sector Organizations (PSOs) and Investors.
- Influence: It pursues jointly crosscutting issues including sustainable businesses, gender, youth, and climate change.
Priority areas for 2022
- Operationalization of the Five-Year Development Plan (FYDP III) – “Realizing Competitiveness and Industrialization for Human Development”
- Business environment and investment climate reforms in Tanzania
- Job creation, especially for youth and women
- Tanzania’s recovery from the impact of COVID 19